Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday!

Hey everyone! I'm back for another What I Ate Wednesday! I've been eating a lot of raw food lately. Allergy season is upon us and I'm already feeling it so I'm trying to be as clean as possible because it's hitting me really hard. I haven't photographed a ton but here's a little bit of what I've been eating lately.

Here's some of my meals!


I made a gorgeous juice! I couldn't get over how pretty the pulp looked so I took a million pictures of it ;) I definitely felt like I was eating (well... drinking) the rainbow. How gorgeous is it?! It's like produce confetti.


And here is the actual juice. It was a really good one. It has pineapple, orange, green apple, carrots, beet and lemon. I have never juiced beets before so I was a little nervous about it but it was good! It had a bit of an earthy flavor even though I peeled it. I may just use a half next time but it was definitely delicious and this was a large glass. I think it was about 24 oz?


For this dinner I didn't have a raw meal but I did eat my veggies :) This is Eggplant Salad (puree of roasted eggplant with olive oil, vinegar and garlic) and it is served with veggie garnishes and delicious, fresh pita. It came from a place called Greek Corner. Truthfully I'm not a huge fan of most of their food (their hummus and falafel are not my favorite at all) but my mom ordered this one night and let me try it and it was delicious! I usually don't order from there but I will definitely order this again. It's super garlicky too.


I'm sorry about the horrible picture and tablecloth. After I finished my dinner I chopped up some tomato and cucumber and made an Israeli style salad (basically you just chop your veggies nice and small) and topped it with the leftover eggplant dip. I brought this to work with me the next day for lunch. I basically mixed it up into a delicious mess and put it in a pita. Good thing I was alone that day because the garlic is intense ;)


I had this beautiful salad! It had mixed greens, grape tomatoes, almonds, cranberries and candied walnuts (which I didn't eat because I didn't realize they were candied until after I got it and I didn't know what the ingredients were). I used some balsamic vinaigrette and it was delicious!

Sorry this isn't a ton of meals but I'm trying, I promise! Hopefully next week I'll have more meals to show you. I'm just so excited about visiting the mansions and photographing other things that I've been neglecting my meals. Like I say every Wednesday, I'll try for more next week ;)

Hope the rest of your week goes well!


8 comments:

  1. Is that the juicer your boss bought you for Xmas 2012? Did you save the pulp from your juice for future baking or for the compost pile?

    I'm sure you have a lot of great Greek grub up there. Too bad Greek cuisine isn't so vegan-friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is my holiday juicer :) I'm actually getting use out of it! Believe it or not, I actually do use the pulp when I can. For a veggie juice I'll use the pulp in a soup broth or even in a salad and fruit pulp will go into oats or granola or something of that nature. It usually works out really well!

      A good Greek place will use all olive oil and no butter. It's easy to ask for no cheese. Falafel is typically vegan as well as a lot of the dips :) Mediterranean cuisine is typically easiest for me to find a vegan meal. I have a hard time with Italian food and hidden butter and cheese.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, how pretty! I bet you felt amazing after drinking the rainbow! Spring is the perfect cliff to jump off of into raw foods. I hope it has helped your allergies! The eggplant salad sounds really good, which says a lot considering I don't like eggplant. The salad looks gorgeous and packed with nutrients! I would hope the nuts were candied with brown sugar, but it's so hard to know.

    We're almost at the end of the week, which means more pictures from the Gold Coast! Woo hoo! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited about the rainbow in my juicer :) I took a million pictures, it was kind of ridiculous. It was so good though and I felt an immediate energy boost! My allergies have been a nightmare for me already this year so I need to try and figure out a strategy because this isn't working for me, ha! The eggplant salad was delicious, so garlicky though. I was concerned about butter in the candied nuts...I feel like when they have honey they are sticky and these weren't but I didn't know if they used butter or oil.

      Haha yay!! I have like 14 pictures... it's going to be a long post!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow that juice is stunning!!!

    Sorry you are being hit so hard by allergies :( eat lots of apples!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! It was so tasty. Juicing is such a long process but it's so worth it.

      Thanks, it has been so bad already! I wasn't expecting to get hit that hard out of the gate. Thanks for the apple tip though! I'll stock up!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous juice! I take photos of my pretty ones too :) I had issues with low iron and i swear my juicing is what normalized it- lots of dark greens and beets! I love the flavor of the beets with oranges or carrots, maybe use a smaller one or try the golden beets which aren't as "earthy".
    The eggplant dip sounds awesome, garlic and all.

    I read somewhere tumeric is good for allergies but yours may need some industrial strength help, they sound miserable....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't believe how pretty the pulp looked in there. I love how juices are an instant nutrient boost and I'm trying to not be lazy and get more juices in. I will definitely have to try a beet and orange juice! Thanks for the tip with the golden beets too.

      The dip was delicious!

      Haha I'm willing to try anything at this point. I definitely need industrial strength help which is why I'm hoping doing everything that may help will work together to help combat the yuckiness.

      Delete