Monday, September 29, 2014

Celebrations Part Deux: Treats & Haul

Hey everyone. I'm continuing my lackluster posting frequency but sadly my life is less than exciting nowadays. My birthday was great, I had a nice dinner with my family and we all enjoyed some vegan treats after (you'll see that gloriousness in a minute). Otherwise things have been quiet which is the way I like it. I just got home from a big shopping trip that was a lot of fun and I figured I'd share the amazing vegan treats we enjoyed as well as my shopping haul (which is not edible but still fun).

First up, the edible treats! They were all purchased from Sweet To Lick bakery, the first all vegan bakery on Long Island!! And it's super close to my house... I don't know what took my so long to get there! My mom and I picked out a ton of treats to try.


First box contains a delicious S'more (that says eat me... I thought that was hilarious), three cookie sandwiches (there is a chocolate chip, pumpkin oatmeal maple, and a chocolate one hiding underneath), and a vegan swiss roll (which was AMAZING!!).


We also got some cupcakes to sample which include cookie dough, chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, raspberry, cookies and cream and two s'mores cupcakes.

Even with eating dessert on my birthday and giving my sister in law some stuff to take home for Delilah we still have some treats left over a week later. I'm sure the cupcakes have seen better days (the only one I got to try was a half of a s'mores one and it was delicious - not too sweet!) but the cookie sandwiches are holding on strong. I tried the pumpkin oatmeal obviously and it is amazing. I have half left for another sweet treat this week. They have a lot of amazing options and even do "Vegan Lunch" on Thursdays and Fridays so I'll have to figure out a way to try it... it's from 11-4 and I work at that time but maybe one day I'll be able to enjoy it.

Now here are my non-edible treats that I have purchased!! As I mentioned I consider my birthday as sort of a "New Year" for me and I made a resolution to myself to really learn how to do makeup and to take care of my skin and to use those things as a way to relax. I LOVE watching beauty videos on YouTube and have learned a lot about applying makeup and I'm excited to start playing. I did some research and I believe that everything I purchased is vegan. I haven't opened anything yet so if anyone has heard differently please let me know!


My makeup brushes are disgusting right now so I decided to start over and purchase two sets of Eco Tools makeup brushes with an Amazon gift card I received from one of my favorite people on earth (you know who you are lady, thanks again!! <3). I got the Essential Eye set and the Complexion set so I think I should be pretty good on brushes. 


Another friend gave me a gift card to Ulta (which is now one of my favorite stores ever, ha!) and I splurged on some high end makeup by Tarte. I went for the Amazonian Clay foundation (naturally I'm the second lightest shade because I'm pale as hell) and my theory for splurging on this (with the gift card so I guess it's not really splurging?) is that Tarte uses natural ingredients and the foundation does not contain parabens, sulfates, mineral oil, phthalates, or triclosan. I figured if I'm using this stuff all over my face I'd like it to be as natural as possible. The purchase came with a free gift of a sample of their mascara and finishing powder as well!! Score!! I love Tarte because it is Cruelty Free and I believe most of their products are vegan... I think a few colors are not but their website really clearly labels all vegan products.

I didn't get the eyeliner at Ulta but it fit in the pic so I added it :) I got a set of three Physician's Formula Nude Eyes Eyeliner. It comes in Champagne, Pewter and Black. I am pretty sure that this product is vegan, has anyone heard any differently?


As far as skin care I decided to try two new products. The first is a face mask that I decided to try for relaxation purposes in addition to the skin care aspect of it. I've heard the Freeman's brand face masks are vegan. The one I wanted was a Chocolate Strawberry mask and naturally it was the one mask they did not have so I decided to try the pineapple mask. It is supposed to brighten your skin so we'll see!

I also wanted to try this cleanser which is supposed to be really great for your skin. It is by Yes To Carrots and I chose the Grapefruit line because I have an uneven skin tone thanks for my minor rosacea so we'll see if the cleanser helps even out my skin tone!


Finally, I got a TON of eyeshadow!! I've read in many places that Elf cosmetics are all vegan (their brushes are not though!) so I went to town on the eyeshadows (each palette was only $2.00!). The one all the way to the left is a GORGEOUS shimmery brown color that I could not leave without. It's really amazing. The first palette is a natural brown look, the middle is a golden look and the last to the far right is a pink and brown look that I think will be really pretty. I can't wait to play! 

I'm looking for a medium dark berry lip color as well. I haven't found one I like (I think I look awful in dark lip colors and all berry colors I've seen are really dark) so if anyone knows of a berry lip color please let me know! I'm also looking for an eyeshadow primer so if you know of a good one please let me know in the comments :)

I feel really lucky that everything I purchased in this haul was courtesy of a gift card (the last few products were also purchased from a gift card) and thank you to my generous friends and family for spoiling me on my birthday! I'm so excited to try my new products and work toward crossing an item off of my bucket list (learn how to apply makeup).

What are your favorite makeup brands, products and colors? I'm always looking for suggestions!

I hope you all had a great week! I'll check in again soon.




8 comments:

  1. Those desserts look so awesome! Cant wait to see/read more about that place. Glad you had a nice birthday. I wish I had some suggestions on cosmetics, but I what you got looks better than anything i could come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were SO GOOD! I'll definitely be going back so we'll see what other fun treats I come home with. Haha I'm just starting my updated collection so we'll see what I can do with what I have!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those treats look amazing! It took me a minute, but the "Eat Me" s'more is so cute, and I bet tastes delicious! Such a good idea, instead of cake (although cupcakes are technically cake...) getting treats!

    I think Ecotools are designed/endorsed by Alicia Silverstone, so I think you're good to go! I've heard great things about Tarte, I'll be curious to hear more! I will have to check out ELF; I've seen it on the shelves but never really checked it out.

    So excited for your new year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The treats were fantastic! The Eat Me made me laugh so hard and I stole a bite of it and it was really delicious. They do cakes there too but you have to pre-order but I like the idea of having a variety of treats for everyone to choose from :)

      Yes, I was confident in Ecotools and the Tarte products as well as the elf products. I think my only uncertainty was in the eyeliner. Check out elf, the prices are great! I'll let you know how everything is!

      Thank you, I am too :)

      Delete
  3. I've been making homemade vegan s'mores lately. All of those desserts look like something out of a beautiful dream. :) I use Eco Tools too, and I clean them with baby shampoo every Sunday so they don't get gunked up. I like Urban Decay's vegan line of cosmetics, Hurraw lip balm, and a ton of Kiss My Face products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yum, have you been using Dandies for your s'mores? they are SO GOOD. Yes, I forgot to get the baby shampoo but I'll have to pick some up! Urban Decay has great products but like Tarte it's so expensive. I'd love one of the Naked Palettes but oy, so expensive. Hurraw is my favorite lip balm! I'll have to check out Kiss My Face products, thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  4. What delicious treats! They all look so good....
    What a great selection of makeup, that's so fun to treat yourself :)
    That pineapple mask might aggrevate your rosacea though, freeman's products can be rather harsh, just depends how sensitive your skin is.
    I am a loyal MAC customer, especially their eyeliner. A good portion of their line is vegan but unfortunately they are not a vegan company since they use beeswax and such. This site has a link for the list of vegan products from MAC http://makeup.lovetoknow.com/MAC_Cosmetics_Vegan
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything that I tried was really really good. I can't believe it took me so long to go there!

      Thanks! I had a really fun time picking everything out :) Good to know about the mask, I will use with caution and see how it works out! If it is too harsh on my skin I'm sure I can find someone that would like it.

      That is so good to know about their eyeliner because I've been looking for a good liquid liner. I'm SOOOOO bad at eyeliner, I really need to practice! Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out some MAC products! Thanks for the link too!

      Delete