Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Snowpocalypse 2015

Hey everyone! We made it! I hope everyone else made it through ok! I heard the city wasn't too bad which is awesome. You guys are lucky :) I'm just really happy to still have my power and that the trees are still standing. We got probably about 12-18 inches in my area. It's hard to tell because we fell victim to the dreaded snow drifts which left us under probably 3 feet of snow in some spots. It took a while to dig out but we are done... until the plow comes again.

I took some video yesterday and lots of progress photos today while we were digging out. I thought I would share this adventure with you :)

video

This first video is probably from about 3:30 or 4:00 PM on Monday. This was way before the blizzard even started. As you can see the snow was coming down pretty heavily.


video

This one was at about 11:00 pm. You can really hear the wind whipping around and if you look at the lights you can see the snow flying by. I forgot to mute the TV in the background so the Weather Channel is playing in the background.

We woke up this morning and it was a bit foggy. It started snowing again around 9:30 and finished around 11:00 AM. We went outside to see what we were working with and to start digging out.


So we opened the garage door to see that we were going to have to deal with a pretty gnarly snow drift. 


It created cool little mountains between the cars.




Somewhere between 12 and 18 inches right? This is the walkway to the front steps.



There was a funky snow ledge hanging off of the car.



Snow mountain... we had to move this back about a foot or two. Such a pain in the a$$.


We checked out the back and dug some snow away from the house so it wouldn't leak in when it melted. Look how high it got up on the back door!


Came up to the bottom of the swing. So. Much. Snow.

So there you have it! Luckily we are done and can just rest these sore bones. I see a hot shower coming up in my near future... followed by some hot tea. 

I hope that all of my friends here in the North East got through this unscathed! Hope you are all well!

8 comments:

  1. So much white stuff. It is so clean and pure. Not for long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was pretty when it was untouched but it's definitely not looking so pristine now!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is so much snow!! Our mountains would like to look like that, and I'm sure you would prefer if it was on the mountains as well! Such a relief that you didn't have any power lines go down. The second video was particularly eerie with the wind and deserted streets! Were a lot of businesses and schools closed? I would imagine!

    Keep staying warm - and as you venture out, be careful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we did get a lot but it was more so the drift that did us in. I was so happy that our power stayed on! I couldn't imagine having to dig out then come back in to no power. That would have been terrible. I love the second video, I decided to check out what was going on and it was crazy!

      Schools were definitely closed and I'm sure a lot of businesses did too. I went in to work today after staying home yesterday and I was surprised to see that there were still some really messy streets in that neighborhood! The landlord at work didn't do a great job with the driveway (especially the entrance) so I had to do some cleanup so I could get my car in the lot!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Cool - thanks for sharing your experience! I'm actually going to the city next week - hope I'm not crazy for doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm sure you will be fine :) They didn't get as much and the cleanup was really efficient so you should have a great time!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're OK! Wow, that looks intense. Are you stuck inside? What do you like cooking/baking when it's freezing outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sage! I was stuck on Tuesday but we dug out and I was back to work on Wednesday. It's so funny, I was planning on making pumpkin bread after I finished digging out but I was so exhausted I just couldn't bring myself to do it! I took a two hour nap instead ;) Which I guess is better for my waistline, ha

      Delete